1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which soundcard?

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by mhz, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mhz

mhz New Member

I am looking for a new souncard for my MAC for recording with.
    I am not sure at this point in time if I will be using Pro Tools or Logic, but with Pro Tools 9 now being able to run any soundcard my options for souncards have opened up beyond an Mbox, so I am looking for a soundcard that will potentially work on both platforms

Ideally I want to kepp the costs under $1000

Any suggestions?

3. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

UltraLite

I'm very partial to the MOTU UltraLite- I think it is the best bang for the buck among audio interfaces, it sounds fantastic, and MOTU's drivers are very stable- I have Pro Tools 9.0.1 and Logic working just fine in my studio at home with a MOTU UltraLite:

http://imsproav.com/main/MOTU839128005389.html

But in order for the group to give you the best set of suggestions you really need to let us know a bit more about your recording workflow- how many inputs and outputs do you need, for example... do you need MIDI like the UltraLite has, do you need Firewire vs. USB, etc... etc...

4. bambony

bambony Administrator Staff Member

Mackie Blackbird fits your needs at well under $1000. 8 quality pres and works with Pro Tools. Mackie are not so hot at developing drivers for Windows in the long term. Another problem would be if you need line ins for your own pres as I am not sure how this would work if at all with the BB. MOTU 828 Mk3 might better if you have your own pres. Apparently MOTU responded to the BLA mods that turns the average components in the MOTU 828 Mk2 in a HQ unit and have improved the quality allover to mimic this. Not sure about how Pro Tools would work here though.

HTH

Tony