Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Will my Macbook Pro be enough for Pro X?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Leon Welburn, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Leon Welburn

Leon Welburn New Member

I have to admit i'm new to Logic, but really like the look of Pro X at the minute. Can anyone give me advice on whether a 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3Ghz I5Core will be enough to cope?? (I'm in the process of upping the RAM to 8GB). I intend to do solo work at home. A few in-house effects here and there, but nothing over-complex. Most songs I'm aiming for around 10 tracks, 15 at the most. I'm inclined to think I'll be OK, but I've still heard mixed reviews on this one. Plus, I've upgraded OS to Yosemite, which may not have helped me in hindsight. Anyway, I'd just like other opinion before I spend the money.

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

For the stated purpose and intensity of use, the answer is yes!

My mid-2010 i5 MBP with 8GB, running Yosemite 10.10.5 can play the Lily Allen song the Fear which consists of a mix audio and software tracks, for total of 53. This Logic Pro 9 demo song is loaded with Logic processors and instruments. My MBP can play song will with a low I/O buffer size of 64. An I/O of 512 or 1024 is more sensible for playing back a mix such as this.

Newer, faster, and more powerful cpu are critical if you're planning on creating large mixes with lots of cpu-hungry third party software instruments.

My recommendation is to record your projects to an external drive for read/write efficiency. Having said that, for the size of your intended projects, that may not be an issue.