1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on the road - externals?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by Made To Feel, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Made To Feel

Made To Feel New Member

Hi all --

I'm leaving home today and will be working on sessions on the road from my laptop. I've put the sessions in question on a new 1TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex.

A couple questions:

I have all my sound libraries on another external HD (1TB WD MyBook). Last time I traveled I brought it with me so I could have separate drives for sessions and sound libraries, like I do at home. However, I'm wondering if I could just load the libraries onto the FreeAgent so I'd have less to carry. Plenty of room left, plus it's 7200 rpm.

Also: I have a cheap little 4-port USB hub. Any liability/speed issues with these when using them to say, share a port between my iLok & HD?

The sooner I can get an answer the better! I have about 8 hrs before I have to leave home. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 3,1
    OSX 10.5.8
    2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4G Ram
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

yes to the external HDs, a cautious " be careful, may cause problems" to running them through a cheap little hub. You can of course try this, and great if it works out, but hubs, especially non-powered, can cause trouble when substantial amounts of data have to be moved, as is the case with streaming audio. I have a couple of free agents, one with a USB, one with a FW 800 connector, they are indeed very convenient and work well for me.

kind regards

4. Made To Feel

Made To Feel New Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear:

For the purposes of traveling, can I run sessions AND sample libraries off the same external?
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

There are too many factors involved to give a simple answer, to name a few, how many audio files, which sample rate, how many sample instruments, how logic is set up, audio hardware etc.

You certainly should be able to stream audio and samples from one external HD, but in order to ascertain how much and how well it performs, it would be prudent to test this before committing to using it in any sort of critical situation.

kind regards