Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working with comments

Discussion in 'Music Creation' started by wilmot, Jun 28, 2010.

1. wilmot

wilmot Member

Does anyone have a clever method/tool for working with comments?

I'd find it really useful to be able to add notes to tracks like "so and so played this guitar on date", not to mention - "Used this and that equipment, with these settings".

Also on projects. With stuff like - "This song should have an answer response thing going between this instrument and a female voice". Mainly since I often jot down ideas, but when I come back to them have sometimes forgotten how I was planning to proceed.

Even on presets: "This should sound like", "Works best in 140 bpm", "Soft in background to enhance voice", etc.
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Logic 9 has a capability for taking notes.

kind regards

4. wilmot

wilmot Member

Ah yes, so I see (now)...

In my defense, I only bought Logic 9 a couple days ago - and had not quite gotten around to looking at the top right corner yet.

Is there a similarly obvious way to comment presets that I've also overlooked?
  5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

No. You can have global notes and track-based notes. But there is much space to write, you could add your comments about channelstrips and settings to the track notes.
  6. wilmot

wilmot Member

Ok, thanks

I'm still chasing that holy grail though - of having all my presets arranged and described in such a way that I can find "that" sound effortlessly, without having to sift through libraries hours on end or simply give up and build it from scratch.
  7. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

If you have some money to spend, use mostly Audio Unit effects and you want to be able to search through all your presets with lots of metadata, you might want to look at Native Instruments Kore which lets you load VST and AU synths and effects to create a "KoreSound" and then describe it with metadata so you can search through them all particularly easily. Drawbacks are that you can't load Logic's built-in effects or synths into Kore, and its not free.

8. wilmot

wilmot Member

It is, as you say, not free and that you can't load Logic stuff into it is a pity, but it's still definitely interesting.

I downloaded the demo but have run in to a bit of a snag - I can't test the one thing I really wanted to test. This since saving sounds is disabled.
    What I wanted to know is this: Can you save a setting on, say nusofting's dahornet, then later search and preview that sound in Kore and when you load it, Kore also opens dahornet, so that you can tweak the sound if you want to?