Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-touch vs Novation

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Joji, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Joji

Joji New Member

Hi I have akai MPK88. I love playing on it. it has a lot of faders buttons and knobs. What I want to do is find a way where when a plugin comes up the knobs are already mapped out to the plugin. But all I can figure out how to do is assign stuff until all my faders and knobs are used up. is there a way to set a template manually that is like Novation automap.

If not what is the best conotroler for Logic-X. I want to be able to load a new song and everytime i open a plugin the controls are setup for that plugin like automap.

I hate to sell my keyboard but this is a important setup for me and my work flow.

I was thinking of maybe the X-touch or the novation SL MKII

3. paulnajar

paulnajar Senior member

I assume you're referring to the behringer x-touch? If yes then it would be orders of magnitude better than the novation fo control surface duties. Why? Because it has motorised faders. The novation has feedback capable knobs but no moving faders.

The key to a good control surface experience with any software is if the hardware supports feedback. This then means that the software can update the position of the hardware and the hardware stays in sync.

I used to own a MPK88 but sold it due to build quality issues. I also am a keen user of a large mackie control setup. I suggest that if you like playing the mpk then keep it and add a control surface. Think of keyboard as you instrument and separate the control surface away from it. You'll get a more efficient system that way.

When looking for control surfaces make sure it supports the mackie control system. If it does then you won't need any in between software layer complicating things either like novation auto map.

Good luck.

Paul Najar
    Jaminajar Music Production
  4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

If you need a keyboard and control surface, then the SL MKll with Automap 4.8 (compatible with LPX) is on obvious choice.

The X-Touch looks like a serious control surface.