Logic Pro 9 AU Manager problem

Robert Wilson

Logician
Hi folks,

I just got myself a Macbook Pro (10.6) to replace this Macbook (10.5) and spent most of today copying my files across with the Migration Assistant and I'm beginning to think this might have been a mistake.

I installed L9 from the DVDs (hours) then did the software update to get up to the latest version and tried to launch Logic.

I'm now having problems validating AU plugins.

If I open AU manager and select a plugin, I get a blank, grey panel opening.

A google search implied this might be something to do with 64 v 32 bit mode and to open in 32 bit mode.

The Apple site says to check the 'open in 32 bit mode' box under 'get info' for the Logic app.
Well, get info panel does not appear to have such a checkbox.

Sorry for the rambling attempt to explain my problem but any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Robert.

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. The Macbook is the one in my sig; 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

The MB Pro is also a Core 2 Duo (2.53GHz), 4GB RAM.

I foolishly thought this would help make the process somewhat painless.

Upvote 0
Try this:

Shut down both computers, put a firewire cable in each, boot the old one holding the "T" key, then the new one like you normally would. Your old computer is now being seen as a hard drive connected to the new computer.

If you open up the library folder on the old Mac Book hard drive and select the audio/plug-ins/components folder, open and drag the contents to the exact location on your new MacBookPro main library/audio/plug-ins/components.

This will copy the plugins, BUT there is still going to be allot of stuff you are going to have to find in your application support folder, etc. If you have some experience doing this in the past, it can be done pretty fast, but there are going to be authorization issues, etc.

If you haven't done anything like this, I'd say just reinstall your plug-ins again properly.

This migration assistant has really screwed things up in the past, so I would bit the bullet and just start from the very beginning and wipe the drive, install Logic Pro, your plug-ns, etc, and take the time, I suspect you will be allot happier in the end.

Upvote 0
I would bit the bullet and just start from the very beginning and wipe the drive, install Logic Pro, your plug-ns, etc, and take the time, I suspect you will be allot happier in the end.

I agree fully with this. I have been setting up a new MBP 17" i7 over the past few days, painstakingly per hand. Despite all the automated routines available these days, I'm old fashioned and, so far as it is still possible, like to see what is being installed, where it is installed, and after each Program or AU, start it and run it to see if it is working. This can save a lot of time and trouble in the long run

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Try this:

Shut down both computers, put a firewire cable in each,

Not an option just now. I'm still awaiting delivery of a 9 to 6 pin FW cable. I hadn't realised the MBP would not only require a completely different Mini Display Port adaptor but also a different set of FW cables.

Nice work, Apple. :)

My local electronics store only have 6 to 4, 4 to 4, 6 to 6 or 9 to 9 pin cables.

boot the old one holding the "T" key, then the new one like you normally would. Your old computer is now being seen as a hard drive connected to the new computer.

If you open up the library folder on the old Mac Book hard drive and select the audio/plug-ins/components folder, open and drag the contents to the exact location on your new MacBookPro main library/audio/plug-ins/components.

This will copy the plugins, BUT there is still going to be allot of stuff you are going to have to find in your application support folder, etc. If you have some experience doing this in the past, it can be done pretty fast, but there are going to be authorization issues, etc.

I think I might already be at this stage. All the plug ins appear to be there but some won't authorise.

Add to this that AU Manager just does not seem to work on my new machine.

If you haven't done anything like this, I'd say just reinstall your plug-ins again properly.

This migration assistant has really screwed things up in the past, so I would bit the bullet and just start from the very beginning and wipe the drive, install Logic Pro, your plug-ns, etc, and take the time, I suspect you will be allot happier in the end.

You're almost certainly right but there aren't enough hours in the day right now and I'm a lazy bugger into the bargain. :brkwl:

Thanks again George.

Upvote 0
OK, I'm taking the longer, safer route.

I'm currently wiping the drive and will reinstall OSX.6 and Logic (again) over the next several hours.....

Plug ins will probably be installed over the next few days or weeks.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my trusty Macbook for a wee while longer than I'd planned.

Upvote 0
Right enough...

Well, the start from scratch method is already looking like the right decision.

I've just done all my software updates, opened the Logic info panel and the option to open in 32 bit mode is now available.

Still no plug ins installed but I'll do that over the holidays.

Upvote 0
Thats the best approach Robert. Manual migration is the only option IMO for heavy duty DAW's. Apple's migration manager is a complete and utter failure for all but the simplest of setups between very similar Mac models. I have attempted about 10 migrations with that stupid assistant in the last 3 years and every one has ended in failure with a ridiculous mess of half copied drives. Always copy the long way, tiresome though it is....

Upvote 0
Just one other thought: George's suggestion of connecting with a FW cable could be imitated (somewhat clunkily, but perhaps effectively saving some time) with a USB jump drive.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I hate to say it but, when I bought my newer machine in 2009, I painstakingly re-loaded/re-installed ALL of my 3rd party plug-ins and re-authorized them on the new machine.
This safeguarded that I in fact had the latest and most up-to-date versions of the plugs and bypassed all the headaches mentioned above because these were in fact, fresh installs.
Granted, I had no looming deadlines at that time and had time to do this. it was a real bitch keeping all my licenses in check but, once done, everything worked smoothly.

Best of luck & Happy New Year!

Upvote 0
Back